NFLUG MISSION STATEMENT

Dennis J. Eberl dje at pcom.net
Sat Apr 1 11:19:31 EST 2000

James,

My apologies in advance to you and the rest of the list for the length
of this turkey.

James Simmons wrote:

> > > The biggest fires come from the smallest sparks :) A few people come up
> > > with ideas and we add some kerosene.
> >
> > I am totally lost. What do you mean.
>
> Often great things come from the smallest ideas.

Oh. I thought you were talking about somebody pressing one of my
little buttons that turns me into a flaming ASCIIhole.

> > (By the way, I just remembered your "Yuk!!!" comment and it finally
> > sunk in. No, we don't need anything formal just a few people to meet
> > over beer/pop + pizza or whatever.)
>
> Like when we socialize after a presentation at a LUG meeting.
>
> > > Yes this would be great. Also can get a hold of a transperancy machine?
> > > That would be cool.
> >
> > That's no problem. I have a color DeskWriter and a box of transparency
> > material. I probably even have some cardboard frames left. You're talking
> > to a guy who used to have a stat camera in his bathroom.
>
> Great. As for the camera I really didn't need to know that :(

I guess I need to learn to read too. You want a projector. No can do. I can
make transparencies though. I think, since we have access to the video
projector, we ought to stick with doing our presentations on it. Let's not
make things more complicated than they are.

> > Darin and I are working our ASCIIs off on this and will have it
> > ready "real soon now."
>
> Okay. As long a some solution is done. I hope to see it soon :)

Obviously you don't yet know me well enough to know the above
was a joke. Ha. Poor Darin. He is innocent. I am spending all
my time answering e-mail from you, you turkey. Do some
homework of something. : )

> > > On
> > > the web site we should post where you can send email to the group.
> >
> > No we shouldn't. The have to fill out the form first and actually
> > subscribe to the list. What are you thinking? We could have a guest
> > book.
>
> Let me restate that. Right on the join page it first contains info on the
> mailing list. Then below that it has the forms to join.

I still disagree. The more you ask people to do, the less likely they are
to do it.

After all, what's wrong with making the membership form a trigger
that sends someone who filled out the form e-mail that says (1) if
you are not you, please ignore this message, (2) otherwise, welcome
aboard, and (3) please join our mailing list by, etc.

Instructions to unsubscribe can be given in subsequent e-mail
exchange. If anyone forgets that they can always e-mail the
webmaster. I need to remember to put a link on every page.

I am also about to get rid of the green and with it the Tux in a
barrel picture. It may be cute, but I want something cleaner.
More white space.

> > > I really think
> > > nflug at nflug.org should be the contact address.
> >
> > Probably Ok with Bob Colby and Darin, but see above. If Darin doesn't
> > have time to answer the mail it needs to get forwarded.
>
> nflug at nflug.org is a public list. I even sent a email from another address
> where I'm not subscribed on the list. The mail still got posted. It was
> the blank message I sent. You responded by "James I knew you where a man
> of few words....".
>
> So everyone would get the mail. Of course I'm assuming that we all don't
> died at the same time.

I don't think we need to all start driving in separate cars to nFLUG meetings
to avoid having the group wiped out by the NFTA.

I don't agree. That kind of thing should not go to everybody. I might be a
private communication. The short term fix is to send the stuff to me or
anyone who would like to volunteer. If the recipient doesn't do his job (given
that its difficult to do after being hit by a bus), we'll eventually hear about
it and replace him. Period. Chances are if someone isn't doing the job,
they will be happy to be replaced. Obviously, people who get tons of e-mail
every day don't want the job. I'm offering to do it at least until I find
myself in a position where I can't handle it any more.

> > > The next point is we should
> > > also have a web interface for removal from the list. I can speak from
> > > personal experience of users being mad because they coudln't remove
> > > themsleves from a list.
> >
> > I hadn't thought of that but you are absolutely right. There must be
> > such a facility already present in majordomo, no?
>
> Yes.

I don't understand. If it exists, why do we need to add it. It's probably
something like send "unsubscribe nflug" to majordomo at nflug.org and
leave the subject blank.

> > You seem to know a lot about it. Can you get with Darin and work some of
> > this stuff out? I don't know beans about majordomo.
>
> I was list administrator at edgenet which was majordomo based.
>
> "Look it's a text editor, no it's a OS, no it's Emacs"
> James Simmons                                           ____/|
> fbdev/gfx developer                                     \ o.O|
> http://www.linux-fbdev.org                               =(_)=
> http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net                            U

I remember you telling me that. Talk to Darin about it. I don't know if
it is even a problem.

One thing I would like to avoid is making list subscription an option at
least when one first joins. I think right now the list is what holds us
together between meetings. But, of course, anyone who doesn't want
to stay on it should have the option of getting off.

I don't know. Anyone else got any thoughts in this regard?

Dennis